Social Media FAIL

The studies are in.

Social media is ubiquitous on the Internet. And it's a marketing FUBAR. Nobody knows how to use it.

The Ad Contrarian called it. He believes that TV ain't dead. And I, for one, land squarely in his camp.

Did you see the gold-Clio-award winning TV campaign for Crest toothpaste? It's, as an old portfolio school professor would say, 'gold'. Sheer genius. Simple. I could watch it again and again and again. And when it comes on TV as I'm watching all those shows that I DO watch but never ADMIT to watching, I'll stop what I'm doing and listen in. Kinda reminds me of the Tide campaign last year entitled 'Silence the Stain.'

Want good creative? Think of a simple proposition. Then produce it in an entertaining way. People will seek it out. Even if it's not on Facebook.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think what fails is doing traditional advertising over social media. Social media itself can be a very power way to communicate ideas and products.

The reality is today you need to make a product that people find truly useful and a brand that they can believe in. If you have those you'll get the emotional investment of your customers, who'll take care of the social media aspect for you.

An interesting discussion from Mark Cuban about the value of Twitter:
http://blogmaverick.com/2009/05/15/how-twitter-and-facebook-now-compete-with-google/